What is a blog?
A blog is a website that allows you to self-publish text, images and video quickly and easily. It can include a way to post comments, ask questions and interact with the author. If the comments are turned off, it can look just like a website.
Blogs allow subject matter experts to share knowledge and includes the interactive element that readers love. People create blogs for a variety of reasons:
- Allows you to share your passion and knowledge
- Establishes you as an expert in your field
- Helps you connect with other likeminded professionals, community members and leaders
Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Know your audience. (i.e. current or potential customers, researchers, colleagues)
- Know your keywords – if you were searching for this article, what would you google
- Use media like images, videos, podcasts (copyright applies to web images too)
- Write 300-500 words
- Use headlines, subheadlines and bullets that include your keywords (people scan first and sometimes read on the web)
- Use outbound links to reputable sources (.edu, .gov, trending sites)
- Make your article useful